Monday, October 11, 2010

This weekend I had the chance to visit the Amalfi Coast. We went to Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri, and Caserta. This was my first time at each and every one of these places, and I can honestly say that they all blew me away. In both Pompeii and Caserta we got the chance to go on a guided tour, and contrary to the typical boring guided tour, I was beyond engaged in every word our tour guides had to say. I am really starting to notice how much of a privilege it is to be able to see all of these places, and made the most of everything I saw. The silk covered walls, and the original gold plated furniture really paints a vivid picture of what it would have been like to live in a place of this magnitude, something you just cant imagine from even the most well written textbook.

Pompeii was almost unbelievable. Walking though the entrance of Pompeii was actually like walking into a time machine. As we walked down the ancient streets I actually experienced what life was like in this city. What astonished me the most, was how many things have not changed even after 2,000 years. One of my favorite things I saw was an original political campaign poster, and even then politicians were promising favors for votes, and as a political science major it takes away some of my faith in the future of the political word.

And finally, I don't know how to express how amazing the views were all though out the trip. We took the ferry over to Capri and then a chair lift up to the top of this cliff which was absolutely breathe taking. I will upload my pictures today after class and make another post with all the pictures, make sure to check back!

No comments:

Post a Comment