Thursday, February 24, 2011

1 month in Florence!




Ciao!




So, today is the day that I've officially been in Florence for one month! My family back home says it feels like I just left yesterday. I still miss my family so much everyday and sometimes it's hard being so far away from the comfort of home. The homesickness gets better everday because I try to keep myself busy with all of the beautiful things that Florence has to offer. Although I know I'm going to miss my family everyday that I'm here, I know that I can't let the sadness take over me and ruin my trip. I'm only going to be in Florence once and I want to remember being happy all the time, not sad! If the first month went this fast, I can't even imagine how fast the rest of my time here is going to go by.


Tonight, I'm going to see an opera called "Manon Lescaut" with my Great Italian Opera class in a theater right here in Florence. I'm so excited because I really love classical music and it's so amazing to think that I'm going to be seeing an opera in Italy where opera was created. This is definitely going to be something that I will never forget.


Starting a couple weeks ago, I started going to Aperitivo every Saturday at a place called "Kitsch". For about 8 euro, you get a drink and you can eat as much food as you want from the buffet. The food here is awesome and I've been ordering a different smoothie everytime I go and they're really unique and delicious. I told myself that I'm going to order a different smoothie every Saturday until I leave and there's just enough of them on the menu for how many weeks that I have left here. It's a really relaxing atmosphere there and I really look forward to going there at the end of every week.


Even though I miss my home in the U.S. very much, I'm really starting to enjoy and appreciate the fact that I'm in Florence. It's so cool to be able to walk past the Duomo everyday on my way to class and see all of the architecture and statues on every corner I turn. Sometimes this experience just feels so surreal. I could be standing in front of the Duomo and just think to myself, "Wow, I'm really in Italy, there aren't many people who gets to see things like this everyday".
I'll write again soon!
Kelsey









No comments:

Post a Comment